This 50mm x 25mm Combination Waterstone is the perfect size and grit for smoothing scratchy nibs. The red side is 6000 grit and should only be used on very scratchy pens and the white side is 12000 grit for moderately scratchy pens. A fountain pen nib should glide smoothly over paper with almost no resistance. If your nib feels like it is dragging on the paper or making a scratching sound then you have a 'scratchy' nib.
These Waterstones are an alternative to Micro Mesh sheets and are used the same way except the stone needs to be soaked in water for about 5 minutes prior to use. To smooth a nib you 'Write' on the waterstone the same way you normally write.
Misaligned tines are another cause of 'scratchy' nibs so examine your nib with a magnifying glass to ensure the nibs are properly aligned before using a waterstone. The waterstone will only make things worse if the tines are not aligned properly.
* Do not use oil on these stones. *
1) Soak the waterstone in water for 5 minutes.
2) Flush your pen and dry the nib.
3) If your nib is scratchy in one direction. Eg. Downward, left to right. 'Write'on the waterstone in the same direction only.
If your nib is scratchy in every direction, draw a figure eight on the waterstone .
4) Do this three times then dip the nib in ink and test it.
5) Never do more than three strokes on the waterstone at one time.
6) Apply normal writing pressure on the waterstone . Pressing harder will not help or hasten the process.
If your nib is still a little bit scratchy after the waterstone treatment, our Mylar sheets are even finer abrasives and will give your nib the smoothest possible finish.
Using this product on a pen under warranty will void that warranty. We strongly recommend that you make a claim under the warranty and not attempt to fix it yourself.
This product can rectify or improve a wide range of fountain pen problems but can also, if used incorrectly, make things worse and even irreparably damage the nib or the pen.
We strongly recommend that you practice on an inexpensive pen first to gain experience and that you exercise great care at all times when using this product.
Waterstone 6000 and 12000 Grit - 50mm x 25mm x 10mm
- Product Code: FPT0304
- Availability: Out Of Stock